Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The New Burning Times


Suffer Not the Witch to Live

How does your very religious family react when they find out you are becoming a Pagan, a Wiccan, or a Witch? One of the great things at Witchvox are the personal essays. Some of them are particularly affecting, like this one, by Torren Springs.

...It happened again. It always happens, and it always happens the same way. The lack of understanding, the unwillingness to try. The conviction that the Witch is wrong. "Witchcraft is rebellion against God. So it says in the Bible."

Will I never escape it? Does it never end? Do they never relent? Live and let live, be at peace and allow others to do the same. Is this so terrible, or so terribly difficult to accept?

My father has a friend, Pastor Tim...He says something else, attempting to make me see... something. I ask him, "So, is this something like, 'do not suffer a Witch to live'?"

He smiles and almost nods... and continues smiling, as though he thinks I've finally seen the light or something. I can't stand it.

Her essay is brutal. But it's a taste of what some of us go through. I'm sure a few of our friends in the neo-agnostic movement are going through it right now.

No comments: